Under-Insurance Coverage

Protecting Yourself From the Other Guy

Why of course you have automobile insurance that covers you if you are in an accident. The state requires a very minimum policy so at least you have what is called a 15/30 minimum policy ($15,000 per person/$30,000 maximum per accident). And, if you are like most people, you have a lot more insurance if you have any assets.

But what about the other guy? All too often, people insure against the damage they may cause but forget or ignore the problem that a minimally insured driver, with no assets, may hit you causing damage and injury beyond the limits of insurance. One trip to the emergency room by ambulance, a few x-rays and a follow up visit with your primary care physician and your bill will be staggering. Then throw in some follow tests such as an MRI and some physical therapy and the $15,000.00 policy will not cover the bills.

You have a way of protecting yourself with your own insurance. You can request under-insured and uninsured coverage from your own automobile insurance company. It is a small cost and can be written for the same amount of coverage you carry for the other person. So, if you have a $100,000/$250,000 policy, you can have $100,000 in uninsured or under-insured coverage.

If you are willing to cover “the other guy”, you should consider covering yourself and family from the other guy.

You need to know that all carriers must offer you this coverage, and it is very inexpensive. Do not forget to protect yourself from the uninsured and under-insured driver. There are plenty of them out there.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *