West, Longenbaugh and Zickerman P.L.L.C.
We Can Help You 520-790-7337 Se Habla Español

Personal Injury Archives

View All Legal Services »

Before You Settle With an Insurance Company Adjuster

When you have been injured in an accident, the other side may not want to tell you the truth about the defendant driver, the condition of the vehicle he or she was driving, any medical issues that may have made that person ineligible to have a license and a host of other facts important to you the injured person.

How Long Can I Wait to Sue?

This is not a simple question. Some people will automatically say two years from the date of the injury. But that is only correct some of the time. As an example, if a government employee in a State, County or City car hits you while you are on your bike, your injury claim ( if you are 18 years old) most of the time the Statute of Limitations period starts when you were hit. But suppose the accident puts you in a coma - that disability may extend the time for you to sue. Or, IF you are under 18 at the time of the accident, the time may be extended. But what is the time for an auto wreck when there is a State, County or City vehicle involved?

Should I Buy Under Insured Motorist Coverage?

There is no simple answer to this question. The average person, who is not on Medicare or AHCCCS, should carry both Uninsured (UM) and Under Insured Motorist Coverage (UIM). It is common knowledge that not everyone carries insurance even if the law requires it. Get in a collision with an uninsured person that results in bodily injury and without UM coverage, you have little if any hope of recovering.

The Clock is Ticking: Personal Injury Statute of Limitations

Notice of Claim: what does it mean to the normal two year statute of limitations?
Some people who are injured do not have the usual two year statute of limitations in which to file a law suit. It can be much shorter. Although there are times it can also be longer this article will only address the shortening of time.
Suppose you are hit by a DPS officer or other state employee while driving your car. You may be lulled into believing that the two year statute of limitations applies and you have plenty of time to find a lawyer and deal with it. Or suppose you are at the University of Arizona Medical Center and the doctor commits malpractice. You may think again you have two years. Both assumptions will leave you without a cause of action.
Arizona requires that within 180 days of the incident, you must provide what is called a Notice of Claim. There are special rules that must be followed and services that must be accomplished within 180 days or you are barred from bringing the law suit. Even after you file the Notice of Claim, you cannot immediately sue the Governmental Entity . You must wait 60 days for the State to Respond. If the State does not respond, which in my experience is always the case, you then must file the law suit. A.R.S. §12-821 says you have one year after the cause of action accrues. What happens if you wait more than 180 days and knew or should have known of the injury: you lose. Simple as that; you are out of court and have no avenue to proceed. What happens if you do not file the law suit within one year, having given the 180 Notice of Claim, you lose!
Federal employees are different. Under the Federal Torts Claims Act, you still must do a Notice of Claim although the time limits are different.
So if you have a claim against a governmental entity, either City, County or State, you are faced with the Notice of Claim requirement.
This is an area of law that snares the unwary citizen and sometime even the lawyer. If you wait too long to file the Notice of Claim, you can find yourself outside the one year statute of limitations while waiting for a response.

Let’s Begin Solving Your Legal Problem

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us Today »
West, Longenbaugh and Zickerman P.L.L.C.

310 S. Williams Blvd
Suite 250
Tucson, AZ 85711

Phone: 520-518-3781
Fax: 520-748-0852
Tucson Law Office Map

  • BirdEye Best Lawyers 2019