The statistics are staggering. Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.
Driving under the influence of alcohol is a crime in all 50 states. Arizona takes drunk driving very seriously and has some of the toughest laws in the nation. In this state, drunk driving has these restrictions and penalties:
- The limit for blood alcohol content (BAC) for motorists is .08
- There is mandatory jail time for first offenders in Arizona
- Anyone convicted of a driving under the influence (DUI) charge is required to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed on their vehicle after a period of license suspension
But the physical, psychological, and emotional tolls that drunk driving causes are even more devastating than the consequences given to a person drinking under the influence.
The dangers of drunk driving and the accident disasters they leave behind can be catastrophic.
The Toll It Takes
In most accident cases that involve alcohol, an innocent victim suffers severe or fatal injuries due to someone else’s irresponsibility.
There are three ways injuries from a drunk driving incident can shatter the life of the survivor and their family members.
- Physical injuries sustained in drunk driving accidents can turn a person’s world upside down and require them to spend an extraordinary amount of money on medical bills. In some cases, they may be unable to return to work or simply live a normal life.
- Psychological injuries may occur when people go through a traumatic experience and survive. They run the risk of developing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and may experience flashbacks of what happened at the crash scene, often reliving the ordeal that has altered their lives forever.
- Emotional injuries often appear in individuals who have been victims in a drunk driving disaster. This can include sleeplessness and depression resulting from the shock of the accident, or from coping with injuries, or from losing a loved one
At West, Longenbaugh & Zickerman, we believe that in the aftermath of a drunk driving accident, the victim should only have to concentrate on their healing and recovery and not the paperwork or legal aspects of their case.
That is why it is essential to have a qualified attorney on your side.
Fair and Just Compensation
Obtaining justice for these tragic cases requires specialized legal knowledge as well as the resources to adequately handle the drunk driving claim.
Too often large corporate insurance agents try to settle for the lowest possible amount.
A competent lawyer will approach the negotiation process with the experience and knowledge necessary to obtain the maximum reparation. They will know how to request damages beyond just the medical bills and vehicle repair costs. An attorney will attempt to include damages for pain and suffering or loss of income in the negotiations. They will also accompany you to court if a settlement cannot be reached.
Types of Compensation
Many drunk driving incidents will require lifelong care. A well-trained injury attorney will fight for the right to compensation for the enormous anticipated expenses such as:
- Reimbursement for all current and future medical payments
- Payment for any damage to the victim’s vehicle
- Ongoing rehabilitation costs
- Loss of past and future income
- Pain and suffering and mental anguish
- Home care and home environment modifications
- Punitive damages
In all drunk driving accidents, it is essential that measures be taken promptly to preserve evidence, investigate the scene, and enable physicians or other expert witnesses to evaluate injuries.
In addition, claims must be filed on a timely basis to assure the statute of limitations is met. A well-accomplished attorney can guide you through this complex and overwhelming process. Don’t try to handle the situation on your own.
If you or a loved one is injured by a motorist driving under the influence, contact a skilled attorney from West, Longenbaugh & Zickerman. Our legal professionals will guide you through the negotiations and court system. We will get you the help you and your family need and deserve.
At West, Longenbaugh, and Zickerman, P.L.L.C., we’ll go the extra mile on your behalf.
We will aggressively pursue claims against those who drink irresponsibly as well as the restaurants and establishments that improperly serve alcohol to ensure you receive maximum payment.
The attorneys at West, Longenbaugh, and Zickerman, P.L.L.C. have over 150 years of combined legal experience in all areas of law and dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and litigation.
To achieve an award of maximum compensation, you need an attorney with the knowledge and experience to hold all responsible parties accountable for your injuries. Our Tucson accident injury legal team delivers experienced legal guidance to protect your rights.
Let us help you. Contact us immediately for a free initial consultation on your case. You are not alone. We are dedicated to producing the most advantageous results.
Visit our website or call now at (520) 790-7337 to protect and preserve your rights.